Starting in January 2019, the museum will launch a new set of visitation guidelines with the introduction of peak and off-peak seasons. From March through August, the museum will require timed entry passes for the peak season when visitation is highest. During off-peak season, September–February, when visitation is lowest, visitors can enter the museum without passes. Passes are required every weekend throughout the year.
Following are guidelines for visiting the museum:
- During peak season (March–August), visitors will need a timed entry pass to enter the museum before 1 p.m.
- During off-peak season (September–February), walk-up entry is available every Monday through Friday 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
- Advance timed entry passes are required every Saturday and Sunday, regardless of the season.
- Walk-up entry is available every Monday through Friday from 1 p.m. until close, regardless of the season.
- Same-day online passes are available on weekdays during peak season (March–August) and weekends year-round.
- The museum’s hours of operation are 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m. 364 days a year. The museum is closed Dec. 25. The museum will have extended hours, 10 a.m.–7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 26 through Saturday, Dec. 29.
- When planning a trip to the museum, visitors are encouraged to check si.edu/visitto determine whether they will need to obtain timed entry passes.
- Groups of 10 or more people must reserve group passes every day of the year, during peak and off-peak seasons.
VISITING THE MUSEUM DURING PEAK SEASON (MARCH – AUGUST)
- Visitors will need to obtain timed entry passes to visit the museum on a weekend, or before 1 p.m. Monday – Friday during peak season.
- Visitors can obtain timed entry passes up to three months in advance of their visit. These advanced passes are issued the first Wednesday of every month.
- Same day timed entry passes also are available online every day at si.edu.
- On Wednesday, December 12, at 9:00 a.m., the Museum will distribute advance timed entry passes for March 2019, the first peak month of the year. To access advance timed entry passes visit si.edu/passesor call (844) 750-3012.
VISITING THE MUSEUM WITH A GROUP OF 10 OR MORE
- Group passes for 10 people or more are required every day of the year, during both peak and off-peak seasons.
- On January 7, 2019, the Museum will launch its online system for group visits. Groups of 10 or more people will be able to view the dates and times available for any particular day. To access group passes, visit https://nmaahc.si.edu/visit/groups. The Museum provides group entry for 75,000 persons or more each month, with more available on weekends when groups frequently visit. To access group passes visit https://nmaahc.si.edu/visit/groups.
The Museum’s regular hours of operation are 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. 364 days a year with the exception of December 25.
The Museum will have extended hours, 10 a.m. – 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, December 26 through Saturday, December 29, 2018.
We hope you enjoy your visit to the National Museum of African American History and Culture!
For more information on planning your visit to the NMAAHC, visit nmaahc.si.edu