There are several reasons why 25.8 million tourists came to San Francisco in 2018, and I can place a safe bet that food is one of them. On any given day or weekend, tourists, as well as all of us who call the Bay Area home, are lured by tastemakers who are redefining creativity with their dining concepts, some of the best farmers’ markets in the country and of course the weather. And if you want to know where all of the city’s foodies will be this coming Saturday, that is easy to answer too; Eat Drink SF organized by the Golden Gate Restaurant Association.
Going into its eleventh year, Eat Drink SF presented by JetBlue is set to once again celebrate world-class chefs and restaurants from San Francisco and neighboring communities on Saturday, August 24 with two grand tastings. As San Francisco’s premier food and drink festival, it is absolutely the best time to make a list and then check off restaurants you have been trying to get to so far this year.
If you have attended the event in the past, you know that planning to stay the entire time is a must. Over the years, the Eat Drink SF team has created an event that is equal parts food, drink and fun. One highlight to look forward to is its newest location, The Midway. Located in the city’s Dogpatch neighborhood at 900 Marin Street, The Midway is a 40,000-square foot venue that lends itself as a canvas for innovation.
Each grand tasting features more than 25 top Bay Area restaurants rotating by session. The Saturday Afternoon Grand Tasting, which runs from 12:00 – 3:30 pm, will showcase bites from fan-favorites such as August (1) Five, China Live, ALX, Charlie Palmer Steak Napa, Credo, Trader Vic’s, ThirstyBear Brewing, E&O Kitchen and Bar, Dirty Habit and more. In VIP, guests will get to taste from Ozumo, Valrhona Chocolate, Anton SV Pâtisserie, Fairmont San Francisco, Caviar Fix, and more.
If you are attending the Evening Grand Tasting from 7:00 – 10:30 pm, talent includes Ayala, M.Y. China, Absinthe Brasserie & Bar, Barcino, Black Cat, Hazel Southern Bar & Kitchen, Serpentine, Le Colonial, Mission Bowling Club, San Francisco’s Hometown Creamery and more. In VIP, guests may snack on premium bites from Tsar Nicolai Caviar, Pabu, Perbacco, Alexander’s Steakhouse, and more.
In addition, James Beard Award winner Chef Charlie Palmer along with Top Chef Alumni Rogelio Garcia, and executive pastry chef of Bacchus Management Group Janina O’Leary will be taking center stage to lead a series of enticing cooking demos. You can also escape to a beach oasis with rosé pairings with Wines of Provence.
Other Highlights Not to Miss
Be sure to make time for these experiences:
- Interactive themed rooms for guests to experience brands and restaurants in a truly unique Instagrammable way including ice cream by RE:THINK Ice Cream, a variety of caviar by Tsar Nicoulai Caviar, Sake by Ozumo, and island-inspired fare by Palm House.
- A special oven brought in by Woodstone where Gioia Pizzeria will be slinging their famous New York-inspired pizza on The Midway’s outdoor patio spaces include during Saturday Afternoon Grand Tasting.
- Hollow Cow will be in the Backyard Bites and Bourbon area serving elevated New American fare during the Evening Grand Tasting.
- Bulleit Frontier Whiskey is bringing its latest cultural Frontier Works project, The Bulleit 3D Printed Frontier Lounge. Guests are invited to stop by to experience a fully 3D printed bar and some of the world’s first 3D printed cocktails, as the brand pushes the boundaries of 3D printing and technology in the world of mixology.
- VIP guests can indulge in premium cigars by Oliva Cigar and enjoy the cigars in a special lounge.
Tickets are available via Eventbrite for $129 for general admission and $229 for VIP which includes entry into both tastings 45 minutes before general admission and access to the private VIP lounge and experiences.
During the weekend, guests are encouraged to stay connected via social using hashtags, #EDSF, and via the event’s Facebook and Instagram social media channels. Also, attendees are encouraged to use public transportation and rideshares such as Uber and Lyft as well as carpool to the event.
For more about this year’s event including the full list of participating restaurants and experiences, visit https://eatdrink-sf.com/.