The Consejo Regulador de Jerez and Manzanilla – Sherry’s governing council – aka Sherry Wines, is on the hunt for the next best Sherry cocktail made by America’s most skilled at-home mixologists. Sherry Wines represents the members of Spain’s oldest Denomination of Origin and is responsible for supporting the collective in their international efforts to promote and educate consumers on all things sherry. The Sherry Amateur Mixology Challenge aims to showcase the versatility of these fortified wines through cocktails. In conjunction with VinePair, Sherry Wines is inviting aspiring mixologists to shake up and submit their sherry-inspired cocktail for a chance to win a $3,000 grand prize. To enter, contestants can submit their cocktail here.
Rules for Entry:
1. You may use any style of Sherry from any producer registered in the “Jerez-Xeres-Sherry” Denomination of Origin.
2. The entry form must include:
- Style of Sherry (Manzanilla, Fino, Amontillado, Palo Cortado, Oloroso, Medium, Cream, Pedro Ximinez, Moscatel)
- Brand and name of Bodega in Jerez that produces the chosen sherry
- The recipe ingredients – you must use a minimum of 3 and maximum of 6 ingredients, of which one must be Sherry. Homemade products such as syrups or bitters are welcome!
- The proper garnish, the ideal glass and preparation
3. An explanation of why the cocktail is great
4. Upload a photo of the drink in the entry form
5. The photo must be posted on Instagram using the hashtag #SherryAMC
The deadline for entry is October 16, 2020. Cocktails will be judged on creativity, flavor balance and use of sherry in an innovative way. The top three winners will be awarded with $3,000, $1,500 and $500 cash.
For more information, please visit https://www.sherrywines.us/ or contact Sarah Howard (SHoward@Parallel36.com) or Andrew Quinzi (AQuinzi@ColangeloPR.com).